Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Notion of a taxpayer: know your representatives!

Paying Taxes

I'm an oddity in this day and age. I don't mind paying taxes because I know that my taxes help pay for emergency services, maintenance and upkeep of the infrastructure of my local city, state and the country as a whole. I know part of my taxes also provide jobs for hundreds of thousands of my fellow countrymen in state and federal civil service jobs. I understand that occasionally taxes go up because the cost of everything goes up. 
What I don't like is the fact that my elected representatives are becoming more insulated from the people they represent and that they are becoming less responsive to the will of their electorate.

The author goes on to list some very common sense problems he sees his elected officials are doing, such as fundraising/ campaigning for their party, and their abuse of earmarks.  We must remember that the citizen is boss, and that the people can keep or lose their representatives at will (legally, of course!)  Stay informed, and remember who's boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment